Rankers Camping NZ
We’ve spent the last 13 years gathering this Camping NZ information so you can experience the best of New Zealand. We ask that you use our information respectfully.
Proud Local NZ
There’s a proud local guardian culture in NZ. Our sense of ownership extends far beyond the property we live in, to encompass all public and natural spaces in NZ. For us proud Kiwis - it’s all our backyard.
Care must be taken by all visitors to respect and look after all our backyard places. Doing so will help you connect with NZ and the lovely local folk who live here and that’s how we all benefit.
Plan your journey. Visit an i-SITE Visitor Information Centre.
Stay at a campsite.
For the best experience, stay at one of our great campsites. With many having cooking, toilet and shower facilities on site, there’s everything you’ll need. You might even make new friends.
Use public toilets or the toilet in your vehicle.
Please respect our home and other travellers by using the proper facilities. Just look for the signs.
Leave no trace or litter.
It’s important to look after our country for future generations by leaving nothing behind wherever you go. Please make sure you put any rubbish in a bin or take it with you until you find one.
Every New Zealand camping location on your iPhone™, iPad™ or Android device.
Camping NZ features Offline Maps, so you can find all camping locations, free of restrictions from NZ's poor and expensive internet. This app gives you Freedom!
Avoid camping fines with this official NZ camping map. We only show camping locations approved by the 67 councils represented across NZ. Rest with no worries!
Proudly brought to you by over 700 holiday park managers, 80+ trustees, representing hundreds of freedom camping locations and in association with Local Councils, the Responsible Camping Forum, Department of Conservation, i-SITE and Tourism NZ.
With over 5100 locations you'll find a nearby campsite wherever you find yourself - a full facility holiday park or an isolated hideaway.
Dig deep into New Zealand culture, history and hard-to-find gems. The Camping NZ app goes far beyond just campsites, with filters for top ranked walks, natural attractions and useful amenities.
Save your favourites, filter by price range or overnight stay rules and view photos and full campsite descriptions.
Plus, thousands of Rankers' independent reviews from other travellers means you can set off with confidence.
Hi. Great to have you here.
We’re proud to be the only remaining locally owned app, showing all camping locations in NZ.
We know, by using this app, you will have an NZ experience that gives you the true local connection.
Ngā mihi (kind regards)!
The camping experience is an enabler of deeper connection.
For some, the simplification of life provides clarity; for others, meeting different people offers fresh perspectives.
Campers are united by the common thread of exploration, and share in the greatest connector of all - nature.
A sanctuary from the rigours of travelling: plug in, connect up, chill out, re-group, do laundry, go shopping, recharge.
The good folk from Holiday Parks work hard to help you relax with all the facilities you need. Usually located for proximity to attractions, or convenience to towns, these are great launch pads for your adventures into the great unknown.
And if Sustainable Travel is your thing, Holiday Parks make that easy. Look for the 'Sustainable Waste' filter and find hundreds of locations where compost, recycled and general waste are dealt with no worries.
When you have a Fixed toilet (you’ve got an internal bathroom on board), you have the greatest choice where you can camp in NZ.
However, it’s easy to become isolated when you’re self contained. So, open your door... embrace the concept of happy hour, invite people for drinks. Share meals. Good times.
When you've got a Portable toilet (you’ve got a bucket toilet for your waste)… well, let's be real! Are we really going to use that portable toilet stored under the bed? I wouldn't. Time to be honest with ourselves…
So check the app and choose Self Contained locations with a toilet. Or join the party at the Non Self Contained campsites where facilities are always provided.
This is where the party is at.
DIY camper conversions, cycle tourers, guitar + bongo drum players... here you’ll find a wonderful, eclectic bunch of humans. Where you find diversity, you will also find dance, story, song, poetry, and controversy. At a minimum, you’ll find some basic ablution facilities.
Non-self contained campers have a unique opportunity to have the lightest impact on the surrounding environment. They can also do significant social and ecological harm, if the environment is not respected.
The path you choose is in your hands.
The wairua (spirit) of DOC campsites is - you give, and in turn, you get. If you care for something, it reveals itself to you in a different way.
You get: nature immersion with authentic, back-to-basics camping.
You give: caretaking of a wonderful place, supporting the local DOC crew. They do a great job of looking after Aotearoa NZ's special places.
The smallest deeds are appreciated.
With great freedom comes equal responsibility.
A few unprepared freedom campers in the past have affected Aotearoa, socially and environmentally.
New Zealanders are very aware of this, and some now see freedom campers as a threat to the environment and our collective ability to enjoy it.
I don’t want you to be seen in this light.
Get the most out of Freedom Camping… Here's how!
Get the old-school paper map and our Rankers Camping NZ app working together and may your true travel path be realised.
When tenting, you can’t escape nature.
Closest to nature + heightened difficulty = the greatest possibility for elemental connection.
I say, total respect.
We’ve had some feedback letting us know that some of our tent detail isn’t quite right. Please let us know when we’re off the mark and we’ll update accordingly. Thanks 😀
iSite Info Centres
I love the iSITES info centres as I get to speak directly with the locals. They are specialists in their area.
It’s perhaps the easiest place to see all that’s on offer locally, and then book local adventures and accommodation. Supporting local, instead of the big international booking websites - Feels Good!
DOC Info Centres
Department of Conservation info centres are choice! If you’re heading into the wilderness, talk to the folks in green. They are more connected to nature than anyone else.
Here’s an important question you need to ask them… "How will the forecast weather affect my planned adventure"?
The weather dictates outdoor life here in NZ and they’ll help keep you safe.
Also, the Mountain Safety You Tube channel is a goody.
The three essentials of life - Food, Shelter, Warmth.
Gas helps out with two of these essentials - Food and Warmth.
Not running out means you’re cooking with gas.
Use these locations for filling smaller gas bottles that can’t be swapped.
Get the old-school paper map and our Rankers Camping NZ app working together and may your true travel path be realised.
Top Ranked Playgrounds
Our kids have grown up with our campervan. In those 15 years travelling to all parts of NZ, have we seen some playgrounds or what!
There’s lots of others of course, but here’s our families’ top 25.
Let us know if you think there’s others should should make the list. Let’s get to Top 30!
Keep in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Penguins, Seals & Co.
There’s something about watching these awesome critters in their own environment. When they’re not aware of us and are doing their natural thing, I feel transfixed. Time flies.
I’ve learnt to resist the temptation of my camera and to stay in the moment instead. Only cameras built like bazookas have a chance of getting a good shot. Be a happy guardian and let others know if they’re getting too close.
Hi there, we're Cymen and Nick and we are the co-owners of Rankers.co.nz.
Before Rankers, we ran a sea kayak company in the Abel Tasman.
It grew from a staff of one, to be the busiest kayak company in the southern hemisphere.
This was because we looked after people.
Because we looked after people, they got honest with us. They told us what was good and bad with their NZ travels.
Many of them were getting a raw deal because they were being fed the wrong info, full of marketing hooplah.
This gave a us a different purpose. In 2007 we moved away from kayaking and embraced Travel Reviews, unique to NZ.
Now travellers tell us that by using Rankers, they've seen a different side of NZ. Something they wouldn't have seen otherwise.
We are happy with that, but we've only just begun.
Updated and effective from: November 30, 2018
If you have agreed to receive communications from us, but you later change your mind, you can revise your preferences of your account, by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link within the e-mail you receive.
1. Personal Data and Other Information
a) Information Collected from You
Personal information or personal data is information about you that identifies you or information by which your identity or information about you can be reasonably determined ("Personal Data"). If Rankers requires Personal Data, it is generally collected directly from you during the course of Rankers relationship with you, and may be provided by you in correspondence (e.g. letter, form, email); through a Rankers Digital Site when you register as a member to receive notifications, seek a quote, purchase a travel pass or place a review or membership application; or by your giving Rankers such information in person.
- Your full name
- Your gender
- Travel intentions
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Age and date of birth
- Credit card details
- Geo location information
- Unique identifiers such as a user name or password
- Communication preferences
- Search queries
- Comments and other information (such as photos and digital files) you submit
- Any other information otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
b) Information Collected Automatically
Rankers may also collect certain other information automatically when you visit a Rankers Digital Site including:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address which can sometimes also be used to get your general geographic area;
- Other unique identifiers such as mobile device identification numbers, domain name of your internet or wireless service provider and type of device used to access a Rankers Digital Site;
- Browser type and settings and operating system used;
- Webpages you visit within the Rankers Digital Sites or sites you visited before or after you visit the Rankers Digital Sites;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels, Local Shared Objects and other technologies; and
- Standard server log information.
c) Geo-location Information
By accessing the Rankers Digital Sites from a mobile phone or through a mobile application, you may be asked to share your precise (GPS level) geo-location information with us so that we can customize your experience on the Rankers Digital Sites, or on other sites when we work with a third party mobile ad platform. In most cases, you are able to turn off data collection through your mobile device at any time through the privacy settings on your mobile phone or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
d) Cookies and Tagging Technology
In common with other website operators, we use standard technology called "cookies" on the Rankers Digital Sites, in order to personalize your experience, administer the Rankers Digital Sites, analyze trends and user data and gather demographic information.
2. Use of Information Collected
Rankers will only use information that it collects for the following purposes or as required by law:
- to provide you with travel quotes;
- to book a travel service on your behalf;
- to provide you with travel passes;
- to be able to respond to questions or comments you have;
- to contact you via email and otherwise about your account on a Rankers Digital Site;
- to inform you about products, services and events that may be of interest to you;
- to customize and personalize your use of the Rankers Digital Sites;
- to contact you regarding the details of a review;
- to contact you urgently for any reason deemed necessary;
- to market Rankers updates, sponsors or promotions and to send you promotional materials or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our sponsors or marketing partners and their subsidiaries and affiliates
- to publish stories, comments, photos or other information posted in any interactive online section of a Rankers Digital Site;
- to use information collected through the Rankers Digital Sites to evaluate your suitability to participate in surveys or focus groups for the Rankers or a sponsor or partner of the Rankers and to invite you to participate in any such survey or focus group;
- to research, assess performance and analyze Rankers marketing or advertising campaigns on the Rankers Digital Sites or otherwise use analysis tools such as but not limited to Google Analytics; or
- we may share your data with advertising networks and/or social media platforms for the purposes of selecting and serving relevant adverts to you via those networks/platforms, and to search engine and analytics providers.
3. Sharing of Information
- When you register on a Rankers Digital Site, we collect Personal Data which we use in compliance with your notification preferences. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-mails. You can unsubscribe from receiving e-mails by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our emails.
4. Accuracy, Completeness and Deletion Requests
- Rankers shall recognize any valid requests from individuals to delete their Personal Data from use for any reason and has systems and procedures in place to comply with a request for deletion. Any such requests should be made by contacting Rankers directly via email@example.com
5. Other People's Information
6. Security and Retention of Your Personal Data
- Personal Data the Rankers holds is stored either in hard copy documents or as electronic data. Rankers uses generally accepted industry standard reasonable security measures to protect any Personal Data held in any form from misuse, loss, unauthorized access, modification and/or disclosure.
- Your membership on a Rankers Digital Site is password protected and we recommend that you do not divulge your passwords to anyone. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your member name, password and other account information.
- Any information posted or disclosed may be viewed and used by other members of the public. If you post any Personal Data in a publicly accessible area of a Rankers Digital Site, you do so at your own risk and Rankers accepts no liability for the same.
- Rankers shall retain your Personal Data only so long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this policy, for as long as your account or membership is active. We respect requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We reserve the right to keep certain information in our archives that we deem necessary to comply with any legal obligations we may have, resolve disputes and enforce contractual agreements.
7. Online and Mobile Advertising: Opting Out
- If you wish to know more about interest based advertising, would like to know more about your options or would like to opt-out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") web-site: www.networkadertising.org. NAI is a co-operative of online advertising companies who are committed to responsible practices and consumer protection. You may also visit the Digital Advertising Alliance website, https://optout.aboutads.info for more information about what you can do if you do not want to receive internet-based advertising.
- European users can opt out from interest based advertising through the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance website at https://www.youronlinechoices.eu/; and users in Canada can opt-out using the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada site at www.youradchoices.ca.
- Facebook is an advertising partner and may collect and use data to display advertisements on all Rankers Digital Sites. For more information and to control the ads you see, visit https://facebook.com/ads/audience_network.
- Browser and mobile operating systems also provide other privacy and ad-blocking mechanisms We encourage you to review the privacy control settings available in your browser or device platforms settings. Note that some of these controls (such as blocking third-party cookies) may affect the storage of your opt-out preferences. To express your privacy preferences or specific companies you may download and use an opt-out application such as DAA's AppChoices App at http://youradchoices.com/appchoices.
- You can stop all collection of information by the Rankers App on your mobile device by uninstalling the Rankers App. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. Most operating systems such as iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices also provide their own instructions on how to prevent delivery of tailored advertising to your mobile device. Please also review your mobile device’s privacy settings and support materials if you wish to opt-out of tailored advertisements. You can also request to opt-out via email to the contact address set out below.
8. Social Networking
9. Links to Other Websites
10. Transfer and Storage of Data
- While every effort is made to comply with the laws and regulations of all jurisdictions in which the Rankers Digital Sites may be accessed please be advised that the Rankers Digital Sites are directed towards users who reside in NZ. The servers on which data is stored, including any Personal Data, are located in the United States. By continuing to use the Rankers Digital Sites you hereby consent to your information being collected and used in NZ and stored on servers based in the United States.
- If you are located in the European Economic Area or the European Union or a country with data protection and/or privacy laws which are different from those in NZ, please be advised that we may transfer your Personal Data to countries that may not guarantee the same level of protection for Personal Data as the one in which you reside.
12. How to Contact Us
The Rankers Crew
Updated and effective from: November 30, 2018
What are cookies?
Cookies (and other similar trackable technologies such as web beacons, pixel tags, locally stored objects and the like, collectively "cookies") are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the website or a third-party to recognize you. Cookies provide a ‘memory’ for a website and allow websites to store things like user preferences so that it can recognize you when you next visit.
Cookies can be "persistent" (which remain on your site unless you delete them) or "session" cookies (which are deleted from your device when you close your browser).
When you use and access the Rankers website, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser which include both sessions cookies and persistent cookies and may include the following:
These cookies analyze user activity to improve the Rankers website. It tells us if you have visited the site before and allows us to track individual users and site visits. Unless you have logged into the Rankers website, we cannot use these cookies to identify individuals.
Site Performance Cookies
These cookies remember your preferences for tools on the Rankers website, so you do not have to enter them each time you visit.
These cookies try and work out which country you are from and is completely anonymous and only used to target content to the region from which you access our website.
When you register with Rankers, we generate cookies that let us know if you are signed in or not. If you have not selected to be kept signed in, your cookies get deleted when you close your browser or shut your computer down.
These cookies allow us to see whether you have seen an advert or not and for how long and also to help us use targeted advertising. These cookies are anonymous and store information on what you are looking on at the site but not who you are.
Third Party Cookies
On some pages of the Rankers website, other third parties may set up their own anonymous cookies to track their own application or customize it for you. We cannot access these cookies. We may use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics and deliver advertisements on and through the Rankers website.
What are your choices regarding cookies?
Where can you find more information about cookies?
You can learn more about cookies at the following third-party websites:
For more information on the usage of cookies by Google Analytics please see the Google website. A link to the privacy advice for this product is provided below for your convenience.
© Rankers.co.nz Limited